Thursday 30 October 2008

Ego killed the Radio Stars

This blog will mean nothing to my US readers so I apologise for the oversight. But I really felt I had to comment on this whole Jonathan Ross/Russell Brand controversy. While I think the two of them are over-paid prats with egos the size of the Mersey tunnel, I can’t help but notice how much the rest of the British media are delighting in rounding in on the BBC and having a go. If Ross and Brand had worked for a commercial station and had made the crank calls to Andrew Sachs, there would have been an outcry for a couple of days and it would have been forgotten, but because it was the BBC and it is funded by us, the rest of the media is gleefully sticking the knife in.

In my opinion, I’m quite glad Jonathan Ross has been taken down a peg or two. He is regularly spiteful to people and his jokes are sometimes too near the knuckle and it irritates me the way he gets all his mates onto his show (yes you Ricky Gervais) and blows smoke up their bums. There is no way he is worth £18 million but I just know that when he comes back from suspension in 3 months time he won’t be at all chastened by what has happened.

As for Russell Brand, I’m a little more forgiving because he’s a prat anyway and let’s face it, his entire repertoire has been built around his sexual prowess. Also, let’s face facts, Andrew Sachs has to live in day out knowing his ‘little’ grand-daughter is in a group called Satanic Sluts. They’re a burlesque group but with added blood, bondage and kinky sex. This does not justify what Ross and Brand did, you do not ring up an elderly man and leave rude messages on his answerphone. Well unless you’re fourteen or you’ve mental health issues.

I’m glad these two men have had the book thrown at them but I know for a fact the media aren’t delighting in reporting it because they feel any sympathy for Andrew Sachs. They’re doing it because it lets them kick the ‘enemy’ while they’re down.

One last thing for my US readers, I dreamt last night that Barack Obama became president then suddenly revealed he really was a Muslim…ummm, weird dream. Funny how all these people in America are saying that they won’t vote for him because they believe he’s secretly Islamic – I think they feel it’s more acceptable to blame religion than to admit they don’t want to vote for a black man. Still, speaking as a UK citizen and only going by what I’ve seen on the TV – I’d rather have an Islamic Obama for president than that Stepford wife looking scary woman as Vice President!

Ciao for now!

No comments: