Friday 17 October 2008

I'm glad it's the weekend

Well well well, it's been a funny old week. On Tuesday I took (and failed) my driving test. I'm not too down about it. Apparently 83% of people fail their first driving test, so I'm in the majority. Yesterday I got an award at work for being hard working or long suffering or something like that and the ceremony was a little daunting. I've sung in front of people so I'm not exactly scared about getting up in front of an audience but there's something weird about hearing good things about yourself then collecting your award, then at the end, having to stand and have photos taken. It was only as I was travelling (drunkenly) home on the tube that I realised to myself that if I ever make it as a writer, that it may happen to me again. If ever I was to win any sort of award, I'd have to endure that sort of thing and quite frankly I'm not sure I'd like all the publicity. But I'm running ahead with myself. I can't see Summerset or Mad About the Boy going anywhere near the Booker Prize sometime soon!

I may be finishing the year as still a learner driver (although I do hope to be buying a car soon to practice in) but I will enter 2009 knowing that at least 100 people have read my book and that it's currently in four UK libraries. It can only be onwards and upwards from here.

Mrs Osbourne is now finished and I've ordered one final copy to check for errors etc. A press release will be issued when it's for sale.

The Pioneers is also shaping up nicely, although I'm not dedicating too much time to it as next on my agenda is Two Become One. I'm so glad I've decided to go it alone without an agent. At least the acheivement is all my own. The same with my driving if I pass my test next time. I've had it with being ripped off by driving schools. Sometimes I think they deliberately put you forward for your test too early so you carry on having loads of lessons with them and paying extortionate amounts of money to hire the car for your test.
Ciao for now

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you'll make it. worry not. i wish i could help, but most of the info i have is on us publishers, not uk. i'll email you them anyway.
xo