Wednesday 8 October 2008

Is Reality TV for me?

Autumn’s here and the TV has become awash with reality TV shows (decent ones that is, let’s forget the wash out that was Big Brother 9 this year). Sad as I am, I’m hooked on X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing and I’m already adjusting my social life so I’m in on a Saturday night. For my American readers, the X-Factor is similar to American Idol and Simon Cowell is one of the judges (Leona Lewis) was discovered on it, and Strictly Come Dancing is our version of Dancing with the Stars. I like SCD because it’s always fun to see celebrities make idiots of themselves. The ones like Jessie ‘Jelly’ Wallace who are so desperate to win are hilarious. The X-Factor is rather like a guilty pleasure. I know the person who wins isn’t ensured a huge career and that it’s all very contrived, but I still love watching it. Some of the contestants this year were pretty rough looking during the auditions so it’ll be fascinating to see them once they’ve had the stylists go to work on them.

At the moment I’m backing gobby, former drug dealer Rachel to win. She hasn’t been equipped with an off switch and acts like a star before she’s even made it, added to this she’s got a great voice (although is a complete facsimile of Amy Winehouse) and if I was a betting woman I’d put her in at least the top three. First to go will be one of Louis’ groups. My money’s on the appallingly dressed Girl Band.

I heard rumours there was going to be an X-Factor style show for authors, hosted by Simon Cowell’s brother. I’m not sure I’d have the guts to enter it. Being rejected by agents etc in the privacy of my own home is one thing, but in front of millions of people is another altogether. Also, how do you make it interesting? Maybe they could dramatise bits of the novel to so people could get a feel for it. Also, I’m not sure I’d want to win something like this anyway (like I would!) as you would forever have the stigma as being the person who won the talent show. Still, if I sold a million novels off the back of it I wouldn’t be complaining.

I received the first version of Mrs Osbourne today. As usual it needs some work done to it, but fortunately on first looking, it appears to be in the layout rather than the words. I will be publishing it on lunchtimereaders once I’m happy with it.

One last thing. Why has Pizza Hut changed its name to Pasta Hut so it sounds healthy? Like eating loads of pasta covered in cheese and goo is any healthier than eating pizza.

Ciao for now x

No comments: