Thursday 11 September 2008

Telstar!

I just wanted to add that I am soooo excited about the up and coming Nick Moran film, Telstar. It tells the story of Joe Meek, the tragic record producer who ended up killing his landlady then himself. I absolutely love anything about tragic characters (hence my obsession with the film Control) but added to this Joe Meek was gay and associated with loads of dodgy people and it’s just the most exciting thing. If you’ve never heard of Joe Meek, wiki him and it’ll tell you everything. To any Muse fans out there, I’m curious to see who plays Matt Bellamy’s dad!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Also wanted to make you aware of 2 upcoming screenings of a great doc about Joe that I caught at Toronto's NXNE, A LIFE IN THE DEATH OF JOE MEEK -- first is at the Cambridge Film Festival on Tuesday, September 23 at 8:30pm (Cambridge, UK)and the second follows shortly after on Saturday, October 4th at 5pm at the Raindance Film Festival(London, UK). I see that the directors will be there as well with various Joe Meek artists! I met one of the filmmakers at NXNE and he was very interesting and approachable.

Their MySpace page is current and up-to-date with screening info: wwwmyspace.com/meekmovie

Nice to see people want to see more and more Joe. I thought I was the only one!!!

This film was a wonderful, very funny/very sad exploration of a man way, way ahead of his time.

I haven't heard about Telsar before, I thought it was the doc you were writing about, when the Google alert first popped up. But this doc (made by only 2 people!) was the real-deal!

Karen Mason said...

Cool, glad to be attracting some attention to it. I'm sure it will a great film.