Monday 1 September 2008

The British media sucks sometimes

In continuation of my occasional non-book blogs, I thought would write about something that has astounded me in recent weeks. I never thought I would write a blog defending Jade Goody. The whole ‘woe is me, I’ve done a fart’ publicity seeking is quite annoying and people like her have brought the cult of celebrity to a whole new low. But since she has been diagnosed with cancer, the sheer hypocrisy of the British media has just knocked me for sideways.

Last year when the whole Shilpa Shetty thing blew up, all the celebrity rags turned against Jade in such a venomous way. I think the only one that dared let her state her point was Heat, I can remember her giving an interview with them. All the others treated her as though she was daughter of Hitler or something. IMHO I don’t think Jade’s comments were particularly racist, just ignorant. And I’m sorry, when Shilpa accused her of being common and she instructed her to go and visit the slums of India to see the ‘common’ people who had put her where she was now, she had a point. Anyway, Shilpa was a stuck up madam and while Danielle, Jo and Jade did act like bullies, I think even someone more articulate may well have got fed up with Shilpa’s Miss Perfect veneer.

Anyway, back to the point Now! Magazine in particular just rendered me speechless (there goes any chance of my book being reviewed by them). Jade used to have a page in the magazine where she gave her opinions on things. It was obvious that it was ghost written, we all know Jade is not exactly the brightest button in the box. Then when it happened, suddenly Now! Turned on her, severed all ties with her and wrote horrible stories about her.

Now Jade is ill, suddenly their writing stories about how they wish her well and her brave struggle etc etc. Now! Isn’t alone, all the gutter girl’s rags are doing it. Putting her on the cover, knowing that it will sell copies. Fair enough, they’re in it to make money. But the hypocrisy is just amazing. They either hate her or they don’t. Last year they despised her, so why not ignore her now? No, because she guarantees sales. It all stinks.

No comments: