Friday 22 August 2008

Spandau Ballet

I'm bored at work so I thought I would put down a few of my musings and instead of going on and on about how hard it is being a writer - and let's face it, it is hard - I have decided to write occasional columns on this here blog on certain things that fascinate me (no there will be nothing about Chris Isaak or Living in a Box!).

Today's musings are about the ridiculousness of lyrics in early 1980s songs, especially those by Spandau Ballet. I'm in a particularly whistful mood today, and when I can't concentrate for some reason I always listen to Spandau Ballet and I think I know why. Like people took LSD back in the 1960s so their minds could wander and they could be creative and stuff. Well I listen to Spandau Ballet because the lyrics of their songs make no sense whatsoever and it's rather like listening to a Lewis Carroll book, you can sort of let your brain wander off.

Anyone reading this under the age of 30 won't have the foggiest what I'm going on about but hey ho. If anyone can tell me what the following songs are about I will give them a cameo in my next book because I for one haven't got the foggiest - Gary Kemp isn't allowed to enter, but I doubt he's reading my blog anyway.

To Cut A Long Story Short
The Freeze
Musclebound
Chant No 1
Paint me Down
She loved like Diamond (I think it's a love song - but who the fuck loves like a diamond?) Instinction - stealing cake to eat the moon?????

After that, I think Gary Kemp started to write more down to earth lyrics but gawd bless 'em, you've got to love the Spands. It's quite funny seeing Tony Hadley these days; he's very slick, white soul MOR and yet less than 30 years ago he was singing about standing in the dark waiting for a man to come (oo er).

Quick nod to Duran Duran, they too made some weird songs in the beginning but they were normally more album tracks than singles, although WTF Planet Earth is about I don't know.

I still want She Loved Like Diamond to be the theme tune to one of my book adaptations. I've yet to actually write a book that suits it but maybe I can make it a project for 2009, maybe it could be an Elvis O'Neill novel about a woman who cuts her lovers up with a semi precious stone she's bought on QVC.

So, there is my musing on Spandau Ballet. Next time I will be pondering some other obscure thing that fascinates me.

For now, ciao miaow

No comments: