Friday 22 August 2008

Back to the boring stuff

Called my local Waterstones today and spoke to a nice chap who informed me they couldn't afford to take either of my books because it would be too expensive for them to stock and they wouldn't make any profit. Well thank you.

But I've been doing some thinking of my own and after speaking to another author friend (and lunchtimereader) who has published through a slightly different house and spent over a grand on it, I was thinking that seeing as I've spent practically zero in publishing my books maybe now I need to invest a little cash to start the publicity machine going. So, I have bought five copies of Summerset and I am going to donate them to libraries. Ah! I hear you say, but you won't make any money. No, but it will get people reading my book and I've cleverly targeted libraries all around Sussex as people love to read about their local area (albeit a fictionalised account). So with postage and the like, we're looking at £50 which is still a lot cheaper than a grand. I've already had a yes from Hastings Library and I'm hoping the others will agree too. Then maybe when people read it and like it and ask if I've written any other books, they will order more in. We can only wait and see, but at least one library in the UK is going to have a 'Karen Mason' on their shelves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I did this, too. It does help. If it's romance, donate to women's shelters. If it's kids, donate to children's hospitals.
It all comes back around.