Tuesday 23 December 2008

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, let's hope it's a good one without any fear

Well here we are, it's almost Christmas and the end of another year.
2008 has been probably the most stressful year of my life. I've become a one woman publishing house; had terrible work worries and took (and failed) my driving test, have bought a car and am now looking forward to failing my test again in January next year.

This time last year I honestly didn't think people would be getting my novels as Christmas presents, but at the sale last week a couple of people bought my books as gifts for other people. It's a nice feeling to imagine someone unwrapping their present to find Summerset or Mad About the Boy in it. I've had a couple of negative comments about the books but that's to be expected. Just look on Amazon at the most popular books and you'll always find negative things written about them. If you're going to put yourself out there as any sort of artist you've got to expect criticism. Look at the whole x-factor thing, many people think Alexandra Burke's version of Hallelujah is the greatest thing since sliced bread but many others (me included) think Jeff Buckley's is the definitive version and therefore he's got to number 2. You can't please all the people all of the time as the old saying goes.

I'm already looking forward to 2009 and the release of Two Become One after Christmas. I'm also taking on my most ambitious project yet, a novel called Liverpool. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a complete plastic Scouser and in my opinion not enough books are written about the city. So far it's going to be an epic love story starting just before the first world war, which means I'm going to have to do a lot of research including a trip up to Liverpool to look in the libraries and museums. The book won't be out until 2010 as I've TBO and Winner Takes All coming out in 2009.

I can't say I'm sorry to see the back of this year and I'm wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful 2009.

If I can drag myself away from mountains of food and Christmas TV. I will be writing my end of year blog next week.

Merry Christmas

No comments: