Tuesday 2 December 2008

Thank you Lulu for your grand cock up

The strangest thing happened. I spent the best part of a boring weekend sticking my rather Heath Robinson labels onto my stupid mis-printed books that arrived via Lulu last week (the rest of the weekend was spent worrying about Reggie the car and the fact he conked out). My intention was to take the books to work and stick them in a box in the staff room and say that people could help themselves. I also stuck an ad on Gumtree advertising free books, thinking only a couple of people would respond.

Wow! What an understatement. I went into my zeias account last night and almost fell over to find about 15 emails from people wanting my books. As the evening went on more and more people were mailing wanting me to send them freebies (some cheeky buggers wanted both books – hello am I married to Mr Royal Mail!). I have had to turn people down now because there aren’t enough books left but I’ve kept their names and am adding them to my mailing list as they have obviously shown an interest in my work.

It’s amazing how people respond when there’s the word ‘free’ in the title of an ad, but at the end of the day they were 16 books that were unsaleable so who am I to complain. Okay I’ve had to spend money on stamps but it’s only money I’ve re-invested from previous book sales.

So thank you for your cock up Lulu. It’s introduced me to a much bigger audience and for every person who gets send a copy of Summerset or Mad About the Boy there are all the other people they might lend it to and spread the word to. So I’m chuffed to little mintballs!

Ciao for now x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't believe they messed up and wouldn't correct it.
At least it turned out well.
Go you! Bravo!
~K
xo