Sunday 1 March 2009

The Ego is Dented

Once again apologies for being so slack at blogging. I really should be more efficient given I’ve a book to plug, but so many things have been going on, my mind’s been in a funny place.

I’ve finally passed my driving test and have joined the New Driver’s Club by denting and scratching my poor car. I had to manoeuvre a particularly tricky supermarket car park and ended up ripping off the trims from one of my rear doors and putting a particularly nasty dent in. So in a trip to Halfords (fast becoming my regular haunt!) I’ve had to stock up on the relevant materials to bodge up my door until I can afford to repair it properly. After nursing a wounded ego I can now see the funny side to it and thankfully no one was hurt and the damage was purely cosmetic. Thankfully VW Golfs are built like tanks and can withstand quite a lot.

I’m still putting the final touches to Two Become One but I think it should be good to go within the next couple of weeks. I feel really bad about it being so late, but 2009 has started as a complete emotional rollercoaster for me littered with ill health and driving tests but I’m hoping things will calm down now a bit.

Reading through Two Become One, I’ve noticed that sometimes to describe a character I’ll say they reminded someone of a famous person and I’m wondering if this is just lazy writing. I couldn’t see Barbara Taylor Bradford describing a character by saying they looked like Rosanne Barr. Is this lazy or am I just reflecting the thoughts of my protagonist? After all, we all meet people and think they remind us of famous people.

Anyway, I’d better go back to editing and stop being slack. Will be back asap.

Ciao for now x

PS: By the way, even my friend Rob mentioned the other day that he thought he was watching me when he saw Libby on Eastenders!

1 comment:

Sarah Butland said...

I think being compared to a famous person is relevant if it's true. Why not get past the dark brown hair and dark eyes if you can sum it all up with comparing her to someone we know? Get to the message or the story, past the worrisome little details that may not be remembered.